Thursday, October 29, 2015

Testing, Take Two

     I'm doing it again. Here I am in a peaceful and silent classroom administering a test. The only sound in the room is the hushed clacking of my fingers on the keyboard and the feathery whisper of turning pages. My attitude today, however, is much improved over our last little chat about testing. This week it's TABE post-test time. The majority of my GED class members have reached their State mandated 30 or 40 hours and must be re-assessed.
     Yesterday when I started this process with my Mon/Wed class, I was apologetic. "Sorry," I kept muttering to student after student as I passed out tests, "We're required to do this. We'll get back to learning tomorrow." One student remarked that they almost hadn't made it to class. "Now that you know we're taking tests today, I bet you wish you hadn't!" I quipped. Her retort surprised me. "I'm glad I came," she pronounced with a grin, "I want to see what I've learned." Of course, not every student reacted so positively: some were silent, others groaned or sighed, one even jokingly protested, "I can't believe you're doing this to me!"
       As soon as I started grading, though, my attitude began to change. There I was, in front of a productive and quiet classroom, answer sheets spread before me and purple pen in my hand, beaming. With each test I graded the urge to jump up and shout, "Hooray!" grew. Every time I pulled another learner out into the hall to share the results of her test with her, I had to make a conscious effort to keep my voice moderated so the rest of them, just inside the door, didn't hear her scores. The scores were beautiful! The progress was there, palpable for the students and for myself. Obvious. Self-evident. Crystal clear. These results could not be argued with. They were up a grade level in reading or two in language or even four in math. And the students' reactions were priceless! They were excited, pleased, proud and grateful for this bit of tangible validation.
       The average GED student hates tests and hates receiving test results. The average GED student left high school motivated, at least partially, by the dismal results of a few too many disappointing test scores. For once, an exam did not defeat these knowledge seekers. Instead, this week's test scores were a triumph! They directly addressed many of the lies that these students have bought into over the years about themselves and what they are capable of. The scores echoed what I have been telling them, "This isn't that hard; we can do this." They confirmed, "Your hard work is paying off." They shouted, "You, yes you, CAN learn." Today, for that gift to my class, I find myself thankful to those beautiful, blessed tests.
       And my students weren't the only ones receiving gifts. This morning in the hallway, as I shared the results with one young woman (up 2.5 grade level equivalents in math and 5 grade level equivalents in language, thank you very much!), she threw her arms out and hugged me in glee. O, what a test can do!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment